When you read my Blog.....

Welcome Dear Reader. Obviously you are here because, like me, you are also searching for that Elusive thing called Happiness. I f you want to join my search go back to the First Post and start from there......Comments are always welcome and contributions too.

Wednesday 30 March 2011

Mid Life Crisis & Happiness - 1

We all talk about the 'mid life crisis'. I did too, in one of my earlier posts.
Come to think about it. What is 'mid  life' really?

If you live to be a 100, middle age is 50. If you have fatal disease in childhood, then what?

OK. I'm going overboard perhaps, but look at it closely from my perspective you'll realize what I say has something worth spending more than a few thoughts on.


There are people who believe that 'mid life' is around 40-45 (mostly) but that means they have an optimistic view of life! If mid life were 40 or 45 you have to live to be around 80 to 90. Phew, that is a looooooong way off!

I'm not that optimistic. I think 65-70 is a realistic age for being 'ripe & old'. Most of us would have had children in their teen or 20s at around 40-45. They are in all likelyhood spreading their wings and ready to fly. In today's nuclear family that is a blow that is hard to take for a lot of people.

Especially when you have reached a stage in life where marriage is a 24 hour compromise. Add to this the following
  1. Tantrums the children throw, 
  2. The new disease your doctor detected and the recurring expense of medicines,  
  3. The feeling that you are getting a little outdated and rusty in your work place, 
  4. Loss of a loving family member or the trauma of having to care for an invalid parent
  5. The list can go on.......
You see what a volatile mix we deal with when we reach the middle of our lives. No wonder we are all so fixated about the crisis.

Now, my dear reader, I hope you have the picture. Let me tell you, it's never a crisis unless you make it one.

Be prepared. I know people who take a day at a time. It will be alright for a while but then a time will come when you look back and think you could have planned a few things in advance to make the journey smooth.

It's like planning a car trip. Check your batteries, top up your oils, fill your gas tank, inflate your tyres including the spare, update your tax & other papers, ensure your GPS works or carry a map, book your rooms etc, etc......

(to be continued)


No comments:

Post a Comment